It was late that evening when i walked into my house and headed straight for my room humming my favorite song “made a way by Travis Green” because it has been a very stressful day at work with lots of meetings and tons of work on my table unattended to. Came in with high hopes of making a proper dinner, taking a warm bath and hitting my bed but trust nature not to sometimes concord with us. Got into the house, everywhere was in darkness while the other neighboring apartments had lights in them, wondering what was wrong, i saw hubby lying on the bed and whining from pain, that was when it occurred to me that i didn’t hear my kid sister who has been staying with us for a while send her usual welcome greetings from her room. With so much fear, i quickly ran to hubby to find out what the problem was and he was only able to utter the word “stomach pain” then the many question of what did you eat, where did you eat it from and how long ago has it been started. Something wasn’t just right because my kid sister wasn’t talking either because she was also having same experience, it turned out that they have also been having running stomach all day so both of them refused to eat anything else for fear of increasing the painful experience they were both going through. The big question became what could have caused this whole stomach upset saga? Long story short, After both were properly examined by a doctor, it turned out they were both suffering from food poisoning. That was when it done on me that we all had smoothie that morning which had pocket friendly water melon in it before leaving the house to our various offices.
Growing up my mum will kill you if you ever buy pocket friendly fruits. This is because she believes it isn’t safe for us to consume them, then the question will be what are pocket friendly fruits? These are the regular street fruits which are sliced, tied up in transparent bags and are displaced by most fruit dealers at roadsides especially busy areas or bus stops and sold at affordable prices for those who can’t afford to buy them whole. These type of fruits are rampantly sold by Mallams (Hausa sellers) in Nigeria. Like i keep asking after my experience, How safe is it to buy and consume these type of fruits?
- Most sellers are not concerned about the buyer’s health, that is why they cut it open most times and while tying them up, they carelessly let flies perch on them without minding.
- Most sellers will cut open these fruits,tie them and display them on the stand for hours without minding that the micro organisms or composition of some of these fruits does not require that much exposure to sun and other elements.
- Some of these sellers especially the aboki (Hausa sellers) ones will use same knives used for the fruits to scratch any part of their body once they feel the need to especially their back areas and possibly use the knife to cut open another fruit when required without thinking twice (proper hygiene are not observed).
- Most are already bad, half or over ripe but because most sellers are only kin on making money, they slice open these fruits,displace and sell off to customers by the way they won’t be eating it right there.
- They are very affordable but like the saying goes, cheap things dey purge belle.
- Buy whole fruits they are a lot healthier and safer than these other type of fruits no matter how we see it.
Many people will ask why was i not affected being that i had same smoothie with them, that is one question i can never answer but my question still remains, How healthy are these type of fruits?
Have you had any bad experience from eating these type of fruits? what were your experience? is it advisable to buy them? what are your opinion about consuming these type of fruits, please share below.